Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Sketch A Day

Inspired by Justin Clayton's Daily Paintings, I have a new goal - to sketch every day. I draw well, and when I began sketching on a regular basis a year and a half ago I found it frustrating. Sketching is not drawing. It's an entirely different discipline. I found it difficult to capture images or ideas quickly and my attempts were tight and timid. I began to improve only when I realized that sketching is like any other skill. It takes practice.

My sketches will be experimentation. They are meant to be quick and dirty. I will explore different mediums - pen, pencil, marker, maybe watercolor if I'm very brave. I'll sketch from real life, from my photos or from magazines. Sometimes they will be rooms, other times objects. Interiors or exteriors, items or ideas. I want to capture a bit of everything. And they will be bad. I don't pretend to be good, I just hope to improve. But I will do something every day. I'll post them here and on flickr to hold myself accountable.

I started last night. Here are my first two sketches, both from magazine photos.

#1:



#2:

2 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

Me can draw stick figures n'stuff.

Seriously, I am in awe and this is a SKETCH?

Wow.

Holly said...

You should see my first sketches - pretty scary stuff!