Monday, July 17, 2006

Windsor



This morning we used our BritRail passes for the first time and went to Windsor Castle, the home of the Queen. Winsor is grand and imposing - as intimidating as it was built to be. It is the largest occupied castle in the world, inhabited for almost 1,000 years. Winsor was originally built by William the Conqueror. Being a desendant of William and all the Plantagenants you would think I would be allowed into the private residence, but no. I couldn't even take pictures inside.

IMG_0704

IMG_0700

IMG_0705

IMG_0699

IMG_0697

Edward IV, Henry VI, Henry VIII, Charles I, George III, George IV, William IV, Edward VII, George V and George VI are all buried here, in St. George's Chapel. Henry VIII is buried with Jane Seymoure. As a queen she did two things right. She had a son, and then died before she could make him angry.

IMG_0723

IMG_0715

I love the Tudor details in the older part of the fortess, especially the chimneys.

IMG_0728

IMG_0727

Across from the chapel I found this van. It's a pretty funky logo for an electrical, mechanical, and building services company.

IMG_0717

Tonight there was a birthday party for Princess Beatrice at Winsor, so they kicked out the common rabble. Outside the gates is the town of Windsor with Eaton nearby.

IMG_0732

There are signs everywhere in England, so many more than in the US. I find them endlessly fascinating. Here are a few I particulaly liked here.

IMG_0733

IMG_0737

IMG_0738

With all its grandeur, I found Windsor cold and foreboding. It wasn't a comfortable place to be, especially inside. I can't imagine living like this. I'll take my little craftsman house any day.

IMG_0695

No comments: