Saturday, July 15, 2006

Anything and Everything

"Portebello road, Portebello road
Street where the riches of ages are stowed.
Anything and everything a chap can unload
Is sold off the barrow in Portebello road.
You’ll find what you want in the Portebello road."
The past week has been so exhausting that I took a much needed break today and slept in. A morning off felt so good! In the afternoon a group of us went to Portobello Road. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the street market was an adventure. The prices here are much cheaper than anywhere else I’ve been and there is a little bit of everything here. You can do all your grocery shopping, buy a new wardrobe, and shop for antiques here.

100_2623

100_2626

100_2627

100_2633

Click to see a larger view of this photo. Harry Potter, Michael Cain, Einstein and Stevie Wonder are their examples of eye wear fashion.

I picked up a few gifts and bunch of incredible vine ripened tomatoes. I still have the song from Bedknobs and Broomsticks stuck in my head.

Getting to and from Portobello requires a transfer at Paddington Station. I looked, but could find no bears.

IMG_0636



Jane Austen was my date for the rest of the night. The thought of reaching a point where I will never be able to read a Jane Austen novel for the first time makes me so sad that I ration her books carefully. If there was ever an appropriate place to read one of her novels, London is it, so I broke down and brought along a copy of Mansfield Park. I took some time this evening to sit next to an open window overlooking a row of townhouses and read.

No comments: