Thursday, July 27, 2006

Kew

What am I doing in Interiors!? People keep telling me I need to be an architect and they must be right! This is what I really want to do.

IMG_1737

This morning we visited a student exhibition at an architectural school. It was so much fun to see their ideas and the ways they were presented. The students used this opportunity to display their projects and masters theses in new and exciting ways. And it looks like they were given the freedom to express themselves beyond the typical student exhibits I’ve seen.

IMG_1669

IMG_1710

IMG_1723

It’s not enough for me to make things pretty. I need to be involved in the inception and creation of a project. I want to do construction documents. I want to push the boundaries and exceed expectations. I want to make an impact with the work that I do. I know I’m idealistic, but like everyone else I want to change the world.

IMG_1740

We left London for Kew Palace and Gardens. Kew was the home of King George III, his wife Charlotte, and their 15 children. The palace was built by a Dutch merchant and is surprisingly humble compared to the likes of Windsor and Blenheim. It wasn’t the only home of the royal family, but it was the one they preferred. The palace has been renovated and each floor reveals a different personality for the home. Some clever things have been done to tell the family’s story as well.

The dining table is set with elegant, contemporary place settings featuring quotes about George III by his contemporaries. Not all of them were flattering and subtly told the complicated story of his life. It’s a brilliant way to present information without detracting from the building.

The carpets on the second floor have been researched and restored by Brinton’s, and they are beautiful. This floor hold the most furnishings and gives a glimpse into the style and fashions of the time. The top floor has been stripped back to the framing and left to reveal the building’s structure. I had the most fun on this level where you could see the mortar mixed with horsehair and the original notes scrawled on wood by the builders.

Kew gardens are beautiful, but disappointing after all I’ve heard about them. The grass was dry and little beyond a few hydrangeas and wilting roses were in bloom. A tram called the Kew Express took us around the perimeter of the gardens. The pagoda has been in place since 1762.

IMG_1807

Nearby is a Japanese garden.

IMG_1799

IMG_1789

Tim seems to think that everything I do is a masterpiece. To prove him right I artfully composed this shot in the tram.

IMG_1809

Kew has an amazing collection of plants and Barbara and I found the best of them in the conservatories.

IMG_1832

IMG_1829

IMG_1855

IMG_1858

IMG_1859

Kew is lovely, but like all the gardens we’ve seen they’re not at their best. The heat also makes it difficult to enjoy things right now. I'm glad temperatures are reported in celcius because 36 degrees C, 47 degrees C in the Tube, doesn't sound that bad. This evening there were rolling blackouts in central London due to heavy electricity demands from air condtioners. Where are these air conditioners? I haven't seen any! The signs in Picadilly Circus went dark and shops had to close.

No comments: