Sunday, August 06, 2006

Admiring Detail

Notre Dame_007

Notre Dame_011

Notre Dame_036

Notre Dame_037

Notre Dame_059

Notre Dame_070

Notre Dame is as beatiful as I always imagined. The amount of detail dripping off every surface is astounding.

Notre Dame_079

I arrived during mass and tourists were still allowed to walk through and take pictures. It made me very uncomfortable. I don't know how the parishoners feel but it had to detract from the sacred nature of the service.

Notre Dame_088

This drinking fountain is just outside the cathedral. It makes you dizzy just walking by.

I spent the rest of the afternoon at the Louvre. I decided years ago to withhold judgement on I.M. Pei's glass pyramid until I saw it in person. Now I can say I love it. I think it fits the building perfectly and adds an amazing amount of light into the building.

Louvre_147

Louvre_148

Once inside the world's largest museum the crowds all went right to the Davinci Code sights. So I turned left and headed to ancient Mesopotamia. The first thing I came across was the Code of Hamurabbi! I love ancient history and have always dreamed of seeing it!

Code of Hammurabbi

I was in heaven!

Louvre_015

Louvre_028

I woulnd my way throught the exhibits on ancient art. It almost made me regret leaving my major in history. I came across the Venus de Milo almost by accident.

Louvre_076

Then I found Nike of Samothrace. I can now die. There is nothing else I need to do in life. It is stunning.

Louvre_095

Louvre_097

Louvre_107

After that the Mona Lisa was a disappointment. I've never been a huge fan and the adoring crowds were obnoxious.

In the Napolean III apartments I fell in love with this furniture. The color and lines are exquisite. I wish I had more time. I could live here forever.

No comments: